Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Before & After: DIY Ombre Frame

DIY Ombre Frame Delight & Dwell

So I'm in the middle of constructing a gallery wall for our living room and, as always, it's important for there to be a few personal touches. I've found the best way to do this is to make some old frames new again.

This past weekend I somehow convinced my husband to take me to a garage sale at one of our local high schools. There were some interesting items for sale including a price tag that gave us a giggle:


The garage sale was almost a bust until I found a box of frames under a table for half off! I found a nice one, but knew I wanted to change the cream color.  

I decided to do a hand painted ombre effect using my Martha Stewart Crafts paints.


























I painted the top half of the frame with a small brush using Martha Stewart Crafts paint in Sterling (Metallic) to give it a little luster.


























I decided I wanted the bottom half to be a minty green so I mixed a small amount of Beach Glass (High Gloss) with Wedding Cake (Satin).



















































I let the layers dry completely and then painted another layer of the Sterling color, dragging the color over part of the minty green color.  The end result looks like this:


























I think it looks pretty on the wall. Total cost: $1.50

I can't wait to show you the gallery wall once it's all pulled together!

Ombre Frame Delight & Dwell



No comments:

Post a Comment



blogger template by lovebird