Monday, June 23, 2014

DIY Mama to Bee Banner





























I was asked by a dear friend to create a party banner for her "bee" themed baby shower. I had liked a few on Pinterest that were adorable and wanted to recreate a DIY version. You don't need any special tools, just some scissors and glue.

Here's what I used:


  1. An small pair of easy to maneuver scissors. I use Cutter Bee (very fitting for this project)
  2. A pair of scalloped edged scissors (or any other pattern)
  3. A glue stick (going old school here)
  4. Ribbon
  5. A pencil and a ruler to mark your paper 
  6. A hole punch
  7. Card stock to print your letters
  8. An assortment of fun paper. I used Honeycomb and Grey Honeycomb by Recollections at Michael's. I also bought an assortment of white, grey and yellow card stock.
First decide on the font and font size you would like to use. I used Times New Roman for a classic look with a font size of 400. I would suggest printing on card stock since the printed letters will act as your stencil.




























Cut out your letters.


























The next step is to outline the letters onto which ever card stock you would like to use. I chose white for my letters because it helped them to stand out against the background.

I cut the honeycomb paper to 5 1/2" by 6". I centered and glued the letters to the paper.


Next I cut the grey, yellow and white card stock to approx 6 1/2" by 7" to allow enough room to cut a scalloped edge.


Adhere the honeycomb paper to the scalloped edged card stock. Use the hole punch to punch two holes about 3-3 1/2 inches apart at the top of each piece. Once you have made your punches, string the ribbon through each piece.I used 3/8" ribbon.


I wanted to add a cute beehive detail to my banner to help break up the words. I was inspired by a banner that I found on Etsy (here). 

Fold your paper in half and draw half of a beehive with your pencil. I did this freehand. Cut along your pencil sketch.



I cut and glued grey card stock to the back and glued the beehive to scalloped edged white card stock. I also stuck little bee stickers to the beehive (here).

Here's the finished piece:

The "Mama to Bee" loved the banner so much that she used it for her family shower too! I love the banner because it was simple to make and looked so cute. Bonus: it can be easily modified to fit any party theme!


No comments:

Post a Comment



blogger template by lovebird